Number of hours
- Lectures 8.0
- Projects 0
- Tutorials 8.0
- Internship 0
- Laboratory works 0
- Written tests 0
- Basic knowledge of ethics applied to the engineering profession,
- Ability to understand complex problems,
- Ability to reason ethically and to evaluate complex situations ethically
This course aims to enable engineering students to develop the ability to apprehend in the light of ethics their future jobs and the situations in which they will be led to evolve personally and professionally.
The course constitutes an introduction to ethical knowledge, and is based on the fundamental concepts of this sub-discipline of philosophy (for example, the notion of responsibility). The various currents as well as the classical problems of moral theory and applied ethics are approached through a reflection on the transformations of the engineering professions.
In order to understand the latter, the course relies on a knowledge of techniques, innovations and industry as seen through history, political science and philosophy, and as seen through the lens of contemporary transitions (environmental, demographic, democratic). The ethics applied to the engineering professions discussed in this course are therefore linked to the fact that contemporary societies are called upon to undergo profound changes that call into question their models of thought and action.
Average level of general knowledge, taste for reflection
An original personal file is required from each student at the end of the program. It must deal with a question related to the course and chosen in advance with the teacher-researcher.
- Beck, Ulrich, 2001 : La Société du risque. Sur la voie d’une autre modernité
- Billier, Jean-Cassien, 2010 : Introduction à l’éthique
- Blondel, Eric, 2017 : La Morale
- Holmes, Robert L., 2018 : Introduction to Applied Ethics
- Govindarajan, Raghav, 2004 : Engineering Ethics
- Ménissier, Thierry, 2021 : Innovations. Une enquête philosophique
- Veltz, Pierre, 2017 : La Société hyper-industrielle. Le nouveau capitalisme productif